HISTORY OF THE SECOND OLDEST BAR IN THE QUEEN CITY:
Built in 1875 in the German section of Mt. Adams, City View Tavern has evolved from
residence to grocery store to tap room to the Tavern that sits at 403 Oregon St today.
In 1891, Thomas Spain, a coppersmith opened a grocery store at what was 89 Oregon
St. In 1901 Spain opened a tap room in the back of the grocery store. In 1906, Bernard
Recklingloh, a local business owner bought Spain’s establishment and operated the
store/tap room for more than a decade. Around the same time, a salesman from the
West End, George Lageman went to work for Recklingloh. Upon Recklingloh’s
retirement in 1917 Lageman and his family operated the business until 1985. In 1985,
Deborah Evans was awarded the business in a divorce settlement and ran what
became City View Tavern with her new husband, Silas until 2020.